Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Tuesday, September 12, 2006

*sigh*

U.S. embassy attack foiled - Yahoo! News

When my friends ask me, I used to tell them that in my opinion no one is more responsible for the bad image of Islam than us muslims. True, other factors make it worse, two examples - the overgeneralization (lumping us all in one group) and selective association (when was the last time you heard anyone identify a --insert other religion here-- terrorist?), but still...

I remember some ten years ago during our sponsor's orientation before coming to the US, I was reminded to behave myself while abroad, because I was carrying with me the image of our country - a sneak peek to the world of what Malaysia is like. Like a mini ambassador. Was that a lie?

Sometimes I think that since we cannot make history free from bias, maybe we should stop teaching history in school. Maybe then kids will not learn that they are supposed to hate the other kids from across the street simply because they are of a certain race or religion, even though they haven't even met. But of course, that is a silly idea because we will lose so much valuable information that makes the world they way it is, not to mention not being able to learn from previous mistakes. (Although, you can argue that nobody seems to learn from past mistakes, that we probably shouldn't count this as a downside?)

*sigh*

Is there a way we can all win? I'm so tired of all this shit. The world really is going to shits.

No comments: