Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Monday, August 07, 2006

First day of school

Sometimes I still have a hard time believing I got in. But it's feeling more real after yesterday's orientation. After listening to the speeches during the orientation, I realized that my essays were right on the money. Unbelievable. Innovative and risk-taker, that's what Haas is looking for. Of course, if I had done my homework for my application, I would've known that months ago, before I write the essays.

I sincerely have to thank Adam Gordon (he's the author of MBA Admissions Strategy), I couldn't have done it without him. Especially since we got it all done in 8 days. (I didn't decide to apply until the very last minute. Itu pun Nils yang paksa. If I remember correctly, I emailed Adam on Tuesday, took the GMAT on Friday, and submitted the application on the following Tuesday. That was how last minute it was.) Anyway, Adam's help was worth every penny. Very personal and tailored to what I needed. I found his website completely by accident too. I was looking online for consultants, and stumbled upon his website. And then noticed that the book highlighted on that site looked awfully familiar. Turned out I just bought his book a couple of days before. He had a free trial, so I emailed him what I had of my essay (it wasn't much of an essay, trust me), and waited for him to answer my SOS email. Long story short, 8 days later we submitted my Haas application. Money well spent. (If you're looking for more than essay edits, then you should definitely check out his webpage.) Idlan helped me with one of the essays. Even Adam said that one was good. I submitted it as is after Iddy modified it. Hehehe. I still owe her the gift I said I was gonna send. Yes, shame on me. I haven't caught Jack Johnson yet, beb. Sabar eh?

Tomorrow is the first day of school, and I do have butterflies in my stomach. I've met most of my classmates, so there really is not much left to be nervous about. I hope I get a cool study group, and I hope I'll make some friends.

I'm kind of glad the first year is structured more like a quarter system. The last time I was in a semester school, it didn't go so well. Ahem. Anyway, this time the first two semesters are broken into two, and we take 2 courses at a time. At least I know I won't be bored with the course materials in 9 weeks. I'll be scrambling to catch up. I'm sure of that. They gave our backpack + textbooks + readers during the orientation. I might dive into some of that tonight. I've always hated feeling like I'm already behind during the first class.

Wish me luck ok? And I'm sure some of your will hear me complaining about school soon.

3 comments:

Idlan said...

Wow, Adam said that? I feel honoured. Aren't you glad you took that leap? I should thank Nils for making you!

Kokes said...

Hahaha! Oi, are you mocking me? :p

But you are right, I have to thank Nils for that too. And yes, I'm glad I did.

Anonymous said...

Fairuza says Good Luck. Do your homework! ;)